Savory lentil cakes



I was scratching my head for ideas for something savory, something high protein - that could go in my lunch sandwiches. So I decided to soak yellow lentils (chana daal) overnight to see where I'd go from there. The following day I blend the lentils with spices and spread them on an oiled nonstick and that was it!

Ingredients:
1 and 1/2 cup yellow lentils
1/2 yellow onion
2 green chillies
1 large garlic pod
small chunk of ginger
salt to taste
1 tsp red chilli pwd
1/2 tsp turmeric
4 tbsp wheat germ
1 tsp Indian all spice (garam masala)
2 tbsp bread crumbs
handful chopped cilantro

After you blend everything, cook these cakes on both sides for 7-8 mins on medium-high with a lid. You can have it as is with ketchup or any chutney. They were the best just off the skillet.

Or make a sandwich like I did with lettuce, cucumber, tomato, cilantro chutney, and onion with mustard and ketchup.
Sprouts would have been good too.

6 comments:

Smita June 18, 2010  

Gud one...lentils are a great source of protein for vegetarians..am sure it goes well with sandwiches/burgers

Meenu Sharma June 19, 2010  

Good nutritious and protein rich snack.I like it.

Tied the same with yellow bean splits.Did not blend the onions with it but added finely chopped onions and green chillies for a crunchier taste.

meena garg,  June 21, 2010  

I have tried this and I add chopped tomatoes and grated carrots to it. Gets the children to eat more veggies. It was a big hit one summer. I need to do it again.

Shweta Humad Sharma June 23, 2010  

i like the carrots idea, forget children, it will get my adult husband to eat more carrots!!

Unknown July 13, 2010  

Will def try it..with an extra picky hubby this wld surely comein handy..thnx for sharing

mux,  August 10, 2010  

yummmmm!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP