Sambhar

I had some frozen dosa and mendu wada from the Indian store and realized it would make a perfect dinner with some hot spicy sambhar. Sambhar is made with yellow lentils, called tuar or arhar daal. Set the daal to pressure cook for 2 whistles, approximately 10mins. And get the seasonings ready - 1 large tomato, half a yellow onion, red dried whole chillies, curry leaves, mustard and fenugreek seeds. You will find curry leaves at an Indian store, also fenugreek seeds, but if you can skip the seeds if you want. Drumsticks and small round yellow squash goes well too.


In a pot, add 2-3 tbsp of oil, add the mustard, after it splutters, add a pinch of asafoetida, 1 tsp turmeric, 2 tsp red chilly pwd, 3 tsp sambhar pwd (you can get it at the indian store, I get mine home made from mom) and the vegetables. Sautee for 5-7 mins and add 2 cups of water and let the mixture boil for another 5 minutes. With a hand blender, smooth out the boiled daal and add to the broth. Add salt to taste, 1/2 cup of tamarind juice (I boil tamarind with water, drain the juice and store extra in the freezer for whenever I need tamarind juice) and a squirt of lemon juice. Let everything simmer for another 15minutes.



I served it with crispy masala dosa and hot mendu wada dunked in sambhar with coconut chutney. Quick and satisfying meal..

2 comments:

Anonymous,  September 16, 2011  

Hello ... I live in San Francisco and our daughter lives in Minneapolis right now. Where can I go to buy some of the Indian spices you've listed on your site when I'm in Minneapolis next week or should I bring them from here in the Bay Area?
Thank you.

Shweta Humad Sharma September 16, 2011  

There are many Indian stores in Minneapolis, I go to the one close to me, called Namaste Plaza in St. Louis Park.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP