List of Indian Spices

From numerous conversations with friends who are trying to learn to cook more vegetarian and specifically Indian, I have noticed a sense of immense overwhelm: What spices do I buy, Where do I go to shop, Where do I start? This post is to address those concerns.


Here is a list of basic Indian spices you need on a daily basis:
1. Red chilly powder
2. Turmeric powder
3. Coriander powder
4. Asafoetida
5. Garam masala (All spice)
6. Black mustard seeds
7. Cumin

More elaborate cooking calls for:
1. Amchur (dry mango powder)
2. Kasuri Methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
3. Ajwain
4. Fennel
5. Anardana powder (pomogranate seeds powder)

Over time, I'll update the list with other spices I use and try to upload pictures as well. Check back soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP