Falafel

I vary up my Falafel recipe by alternating the beans or lentils I throw in. But the majority portion is always lima beans. I buy them dry, then soak them overnight. This time I used:

1 and 1/2 cup lima beans
few whole peppercorn
3 large garlic pods
2/3 rd of a parsley bunch
1/4 cup yellow lentils (called channa in Hindi)
3 tbsp gram flour (called 'besan' in Hindi, bought from the Indian store) - used primarily as a binding agent. 
salt to taste


Blend all of this with as little water as possible. The more water content, the harder it is to hold the batter together. 


Make a small test ball to see if the batter is spreading in the oil. If yes, add more gram flour to help bind. Restaurants have a metal fixture to help them make evenly sized balls. I just oil my palms a little, then cup in the batter between both palms and slide it in.


Let them brown on both sides on a medium flame.


I serve them with fried potatoes and eggplant to stuff in pita pockets. I also chop up cucumber and tomato dressed with tahini (sesame paste), fresh lettuce, olives and pepperoncinis and a middle eastern hot sauce.




Health benefits:
Falafel are full of protein, if you want to actually cut the fat with the frying, I recommend spreading the batter like a pancake on a non-stick with very little oil. Lima beans in particular are high in manganese (good for bone development, important role in metabolism), fiber, protein and iron. They also provide good carbohydrates - the ones that help in metabolism and promote weight loss.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP