Yam chaat



I had some left over tortilla chips from the end of the bag, along with pita chip ends. I combined all of the crunchy remains and crushed them. I added to it some puffed rice ("kurmure") that you can buy from any Indian grocery store and "sev" - a gram flour based snack. Sev comes in various stick like thicknesses. I had 2 kinds that I combined. Then I stuck all this in the oven for 10mins on 300F to ensure a good crunch. Towards the end I added some raisins to the oven plate, didnt want to put it in earlier because they would burn.



To this mixture I added cilantro chutney (bunch of cilantro, some mint, lemon juice, salt and green chillies) and home made cranberry chutney (puree of fresh cranberries simmered to cook with brown sugar, roasted cumin powder, pink "rock" salt, and some paprika).

I also added some dehydrated garlic chutney that I get from Bombay. A good substitute would be pounding fresh garlic with salt, cumin, and red chilly powder with very little water.



Then some "chaat" masala that you can get from the Indian store.

And pieces of boiled yam, chopped yellow onion, some roasted peanuts and fresh cilantro. And you have a yummy snack. You can replace the yam with potato. You can also grate in some fresh carrot, or throw in fresh pomograte. The end result should be a little spicy, a little tangy, a little sweet with a lot of crunch. Improvize with what you have!

1 comments:

shriya May 31, 2010  

Wow!! this is soo easy and looks so yummy too. Love this chaat. Gotta try it soon.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP